Sunday, August 10, 2008

My New Bicycle

Well, I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a new bicycle. It is a KHS Urban X. I suppose you could say it was love at first sight, but I put in my due diligence to ensure I would enjoy riding it as much as looking at it. I knew several things going into this process. I knew I wanted a bike that would be suitable for both recreational riding and for commuting the three miles each way to my workplace. This was not the only bike on my radar. The Breezer bikes sounded great, but I had to be realistic with my price point. Trish and I went around to the area bike shops and took notes on bikes of interest. I even test rode a few of them. Once we had done that, I took to the internet to get reviews from riders and experts alike. I was impressed by the reviews for the KHS so I called my local dealer and let him know I wanted to test ride one.

He explained to me that they have been flying out the door as fast as he was getting them in. He agreed to call me when a fresh shipment came in. We also discussed his taking my recumbent bike in on consignment. It looks as if I'm going to come away from this deal breaking even. He fully expects my old bike will more than pay for my new one. That is great! When I brought my new bike home yesterday I was feeling like a little boy with a new toy. I'm not ashamed to admit that. I took my first good ride on it today to see how long my commute will take. It was right at fifteen minutes to cover a little over 3 miles. I could really tell I needed to get more exercise. But I know I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this bike. That recumbent thing just did not work out for me. I guess that happens sometimes. I put some of my old extras from the old bike on the KHS, including my cateye cyclometer, headlite, and tire pump. Trish encouraged me to get the rear view mirror and I must say that I really like having it. Works great!

Everything else you see on the bike came standard. The fenders, which will be wonderful on wet commutes, and the rear rack really made this bike attractive to me. I was slobbering over the Breezers built in lighting system that is powered by an internal front hub generator and also by its rear hub internal transmission (7 or 8 speeds I believe). But I am completely satisfied with my purchase. It all works well and is known for its dependability. And at $350 I could by 2 more of these and still not spend as much as I would on the Breezer. I especially like the more upright riding position. At my age I need it.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jdollar said...

Hey.........that looks like a great bike! But then, I'm a bit biased, cause every bike looks like a great bike to me. But really, I do like her! She'sss sassy! Just say n.
lvyabro. J$